Friday, August 19, 2005

Another one bites the Dust


A couple of my good friends have just broken up after 7 years or so. It is sad. But it really is for the best, so I can't think that it's all bad. Of course it came as a huge shock to me, but what can you do? Just move on I suppose. Splitting up the mortgage and all, it could have been really ugly, but the maturity seems to be there, and they're just pressing forward. I saw one of them today, and we managed to have a good time amidst the swirling gossip and such. Times like these really bring out the ugly side of 'society'. Worrying about how people will find out, worrying about what folks will say, worrying about whether the other will hook up too soon.

It's been so long since I've experienced that range of emotion, being an 'old' married lady and all, but I do seem to recall walking around with that feeling as though I'd been kicked in the gut. At one time, starving and despondent, I even managed to squeeze into some high school jeans, and thought I looked FINE, wow, break ups are great for the figure, but really I was just fucked up and depressed. Ah, those were the days. University schoolgirl without a clue.

My girlfriend is handling it SO well. I of course envy her freedom. I was the first to say "great balls on you for making a move". Perhaps this seems strange, but two people could literally spend their entire lives walking around bored with each other and miserable, as their youth slips away. In fact, doesn't this really describe many married people that you know? Complacent. Safe. Boring.

The most classic thing I learned about the breakup was the fact that upon disclosure of her intentions, said boyfriend actually said, "if you ask me to, I'll beg you to stay". Um, no thank you. I think you've not done quite enough already. I really have nothing against this guy, it just seems to me that he is having his mid life crisis early, and that one day he will wake up a lonelier and bitterer old man.

Yadda Yadda

No comments: